Tuesday, December 1, 2015

SSMT # 21 - Col. 3:12

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

I pondered my verse for today...read a bit in Genesis, read a bit in Galatians, a bit in Ephesians, and ended up in Colossians, where I found another verse that struck a chord with me.

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  -- Col. 3:12

I'm probably not the only one who is appalled at the strident, combative, petty  and downright ridiculous things that are being attributed to folks who call themselves Christians.  I'll be honest, I wonder if some of that crazy stuff isn't being propagated purely by internet trolls just to provoke controversy and drama.  

And yet, those folks are becoming the face of modern Christianity to many who live in areas where, to quote one person who posted on a  craft-based discussion board, they've 'never actually met anyone who believes in the christian god.'

Yes.  Right here in the United States.  Never MET ANYONE who believes...so how would they know that the crazies, the trolls, the folks who live for controversy, are not a true representation of those who follow Christ?

Counterfeiting is a common strategy of warfare.

So, my beloved friend, what is our counter to that?

Colossians 3:12.

Remember, the opposite of holy is not evil...the opposite of holy is ordinary.

We are to be wise, yes.  We are to be strong, yes.  We are to be holy, yes.  But we are also to be compassionate, kind, humble...all those other things that Christ was, even as He uncompromisingly stood for what God declared to be right and true.

If people recognized Christians by their likeness to Christ, and not by their rhetoric or indignant  reactions to people who truly know no better...how much more impact would the good news of Christ have on those who do not even recognize the darkness in which they live?

Compassion.  Kindness.  Humility.  Gentleness. Patience.

Oy.  What if I leaned into Christ to develop those things in my life, instead of asking Him to grant me favor or answer prayers for provision or achievement or or or...

God, I confess that I am inherently selfish and short-sighted.  I plan my life around my security and  my comfort, when there are so many who have neither.  Teach me, Lord, to show YOUR attributes, and take away the fear that shies away from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment