Friday, May 6, 2011

Friday Faithful Faves: Joel

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

It is an interesting thing to read Laura Ingall's Wilder's On the Banks of Plum Creek, with her eyewitness accounts of the grasshopper plague, and then read the book of Joel and the insect plagues described there.

Even the stench is common to both accounts.

But today, I'm going with the obvious pick from Joel, not because it is the obvious, but because it speaks of what happens when the people return to God after the disaster, which is the encouragement I'm needing at the moment (this is from New King James, because that happened to be sitting on the computer desk):

And it shall come to pass afterward
That I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters will prophesy,
Your old men shall dream dreams,
Your young men shall see visions.
And so on My menservants and on My maidservants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days.
-Joel 2:28-29


One of the most amazing things to come out of this (the devastating tornadoes of April 27) has been the unity of folks working together to help clean up. The denominational tags have been dropped. It may well be that this is the start of a different day among those of us who follow Christ.

And once we finally get past the difference in styles of worship, or particulars of doctrine, and find true unity in Christ, we are aligned for such an outpouring.

No comments:

Post a Comment