Friday, December 17, 2010

Faithful Friday Faves: 2 Chronicles

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

Gee, if I don't hurry, I'll be late again! (as the clock chimes 11:30 PM)

See, I thought I'd just take the easy verse, 2 Chron. 7:14, as that is one of my favorite verses in the Bible. But, as I flipped to it, I had a feeling that I'd already discussed that verse...and, when I looked, I discovered I was right. I didn't really have anything new to say...so I started from scratch.

Sure enough, another verse caught my eye:
For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him. - 2 Chron. 16:9a

God is looking for fully committed hearts.

It sounds so simple...live fully committed.

But, in all honesty, on my best days I may be about 75% committed. I don't know if I'm even aware of how much I have committed my heart to traditions, to social norms, to personal agenda and not to God. It slips in so insidiously.

But look at that promise! God looks for fully committed hearts: so He can give them strength. None of that other stuff can hold a candle to that. What personal strength do I get from traditions, or from our society, or from my own messed up thinking?

That stuff doesn't give strength...it drains it.

What a challenge...

No comments:

Post a Comment