Friday, September 17, 2010

Faithful Friday Faves: Leviticus

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

You are to be holy to me because I, the LORD, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own -- Lev. 20:26


I have a note scribbled by that verse that reads,'Key verse/theme of Leviticus'...from my BSF study of the Life of Moses, I expect.

And it's interesting because I've been reading The Messianic Church Arising! by Robert D. Heidler, which contained a quote from one of the worship leaders at his church that really got my attention and made gears shift in my brain, "The opposite of holy is not sinful or evil. The opposite of holy is ordinary."

I know I have heard many times that the definition of 'holy' is 'set apart', but it is so strongly ingrained in our spiritual culture that holiness has to do with sinlessness that 'set apart' becomes secondary, as in 'you are set apart because you behave less sinfully than the world around you.'

No. We are holy because God, who is holy, has set us apart.

Like wedding clothes, the interview suit, the good china, the white linen tablecloth, the guest towels, the Christmas decorations...special. And, you know, it's the use of/presence of the special thing that raises the occasion above the ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment