Monday, June 8, 2009

Jubilee Monday #40 Flashback to Sweet 16

Forty. Wow. The End of the Jubilee Year is really coming fast now.

My Sweet Baboo asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday. I told him I didn't want a 'birthday party', as such...I don't want to be fussed over. But I would like to hang out with friends.

I could help him out and plan my own event. That way, I wouldn't be disappointed if he drops the ball.

But I'd take away any opportunity he'd have to delight me by putting something together himself (or maybe with the help of the older kids).

All in all, I'd rather risk disappointment than guarantee 'something -- anything!'.

I learned that lesson on my 16th birthday. I wanted to do something special, but there were absolutely no indications that it was even possible...my mom had to take my flat-footed brothers into Indianapolis for a visit to the orthopedist, which pretty much ruled out scheduling a party. But, a trip into town usually meant a bit of shopping while we were in the area. So, I decided I'd pick my own special and asked to take a friend with me.

Mom refused. Wouldn't even give me a reason why. Just said no.

Well, I flew into an absolute perfect example of almost-sixteen-year-old-agnst. It was my 16th birthday! Surely we could do something...ANYTHING!...to make it special! I wasn't asking for much! So, she finally gave in and said I could invite my buddy along.

Now, we're not talking about anything remotely resembling a celebration. We were going to the orthopedist (boring!), then we were going to eat lunch and do a little shopping at Lafayette Square and, if I was lucky, Cloth World. I don't remember where we ate, although I do remember the fabric I purchased at Cloth World...it turned into the outfit I wore on the first day of the next school year.

After the day was over, Mom told me that she and my younger sister had been in the beginning stages of planning a surprise sleepover party for me, but because I threw such a fit to have my friend go to town with us, that's what I got.

So...better to be disappointed than to be disappointed and mad at myself too. ;)

Actually, there's probably a spiritual application for that, too, but I don't feel like diving that deep today...

No comments:

Post a Comment