Friday, September 28, 2018

Between Studies

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi


The photo is not really related to the post, but Facebook wants a picture to post with the link, so...

I thought I'd do an update on the 3 + 1 (three chapters in the Old Testament, one in the new) reading...I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that I'm a total of at least 3 months behind.  Reading 6 days a week should have been easy, right?  Somehow, since it wasn't EVERY day, it got easy to overlook.  I'm still plugging away; I'm in 2 Samuel (David is thinking he's covered up everything with Bathsheba), just read Ps. 139...we are fearfully and wonderfully made...and grieved with the Ephesian believers as Paul told them 'you will never see my face again;' as I near the end of Acts.

It's a good plan to read through the Bible in a year.  Well less than a year, if you do it daily.  I tried backing it out to 6 days a week...which would still finish in a year...but, well, I got behind.  I thought about skipping Joshua, since I was doing the study on it, but part of the reason I am reading is to systematically mark the ESV I'm reading in...and I did the Joshua study from the NIV.  So I didn't skip it.

So, you know, it's going to take more than a year.  I'll just keep plugging away and maybe finish around Easter. Cause, you know, the important thing is to be intentional, not to finish on a schedule.  Having a goal is good...but the main thing is to keep going.

I'm not sure what the next study will be.  I'm still kinda mulling over the lessons from Joshua and letting those sink in.

I know I need to be much more intentional about 'inquiring of the LORD' before I undertake things.  I've found myself getting tripped up...again...by assuming I know what's going on and what I need to do and then finding out, well, I didn't.  My results weren't as dire as some of the results from running ahead in Joshua's day, but I'd still rather have not made those errors.  I got hurt and I hurt others.  No bueno.  

God gives us a promise, but we still have to do it His way.  Because His way really and truly is the best way in the long run.  And I generally don't figure out His way on my own.  It comes by asking.

So, yeah.  Still chewing on it...

2 comments:

  1. Recently was reading in my Bible and read in Psalms about pleasing God. That’s become my prayer - then He tells me to go back to my first love. Arise in the MORNING and pray, read His Word. I’ve become a sluggard and want to sleep until the last minute. So I’ve been rising earlier. It’s been good.

    Definitely have to do things His way. He knows what we need to keep us going.

    Oh! I told my youngest (she’s 9) about how you used to pray for your husband way before you knew him and when you were very young. I heard her the other night praying for hers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWWW!!!! *sniff*

      I am SO not a morning person...I'm with you on sleeping till the last minute. It's hard; sometimes I do better with my Bible study in the evening, after things have settled down and I am not preoccupied with what I need to do...I can linger over the Word if I want. But that has its issues, too. Sometimes I take my lunch break at work for Bible study/prayer. If I make it a priority...I'll find a time for it. Like anything else...

      Delete