Friday, July 22, 2016

A Tour through Psalm 119 : Pe

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi





Pe is kind of an interesting letter...I've tried to think of a simple way to describe it, and the best I can come up with is my impression of it as a sort of backwards  'e', only bigger and squarish.  Which is not at all a good description, but it's the best I've got.

Anyway, 'Pe' is the initial letter in each verse in the passage that goes from verses 129 through 136, which run like this in the NIV 84:

Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them.
The unfolding of your words gives light; it give understanding to the simple.
I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands.
Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name.
Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.
Redeem me from the oppression of men, that I may obey your precepts.
Make your face shine upon your servant and teach me your decrees.
Streams of tears flow from my eyes, for your law is not obeyed.

And...this is what I have cobbled up from crawling through the dictionaries:

Your testimonies are marvels!  Therefore, over them my soul keeps guard.
The opening of your words brings light [and] gives understanding to the foolish.
My mouth gapes, gasping with desire for your commandments.
Turn and look toward me and be gracious to me [consistent with your] judgment [of] those who love you.
Establish my footsteps in your word and do not let any wickedness be given power over me.
Ransom me from the oppression of mankind so I may observe your statutes.
Shine your faces [yes - the Hebrew word is clearly marked 'plural'!] on your servant and teach me your statutes.
Canals of waters go down [from] my two eyes, for your law is not kept.

Some random thoughts that occurred to me as I dug through this:

I wonder if 'unfolding' was the word used here due to the fact that the scriptures were written on parchments, and kept in scrolls or folded books.  Opening the scripture would be a very different experience than flipping open a Bible today.  But I think it's a lovely picture...just the opening of the book brings light.  The least consultation of the Word will bring blessing and understanding.

Verse 131 is...um, kind of uncomfortable.  The connotation in the Hebrew is physical desire. Um...when was the last time I had that kind of craving in my spirit for God's word?

Interesting that 'faces' is plural.  Very interesting.  Father - Son- Spirit making an appearance here?

Again, we see the psalmist's grief that the world in general ignores the word of God and does not follow His commands.  I can kind of identify with that...

No comments:

Post a Comment