Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Determined...

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride. -- Ecc 7:10

What does it mean to 'finish strong'?

As opposed to 'finish well', for instance?

'Finish well' -- a good job, completed the assignment to satisfaction,  disappointed no one;  placed in the top.  Commendable.

And I'm not going to disdain 'finish well' at all.  But 'finish strong' is something extra.

I have  fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith -- 2 Tim 4:7
 
'Finish strong' is to push past the finish line; to still be striving and straining through the goal even if it's not necessary...or seems to serve no purpose.  It's to have one's eyes on a point past the finish line, crossing the finish line as if it were not the finish line, still stretching, still pushing.  Pulling away from the pack, maybe...or, maybe, out of reckoning altogether.

It may not be a podium finish.  It may not even be a notable finish. Someone might just call it 'also ran'.  But it's a finish without a shred of 'give up' or 'ease up' or 'slack off' in it. 

They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever - 1 Cor 9: 25b


The temptation is always there, either way.  The Hare gave in...'I'm so far ahead, I can take a nap and it won't even matter.'   Others give up...'I'm so far behind, I can't possibly catch up; it won't even matter.' 

 'Finish strong' resists both giving in and giving up.

I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me -  Acts 20:24a 

'Finish strong'  assigns no blame, complains of no unfair treatment, maintains honor.

Easy, it ain't.

But it's always right.

But one thing I do:  Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal -- Phil. 3:13b - 14a

The finish may be hours behind the next one up.  No cameras, no crowds, no one even acknowledging the achievement.  No matter.  It's finished.

I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do - John 17:4
 


No comments:

Post a Comment