Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Deep Breaths

posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

Y'know, I've never been part of a data base migration before.

The thing that makes it so crazifying is that the current work doesn't stop while we get the new platform ready (and HOW do I match those multiple-selection drop down lists to a solution that only offers a scant handful of custom drop down lists...that can only have one choice?); add to that some personnel transitions that mean we are having to train folks on the old system just weeks before we move to the new system (oh, wait, I don't  have to create a new log in...I can just reassign the old one...so nice to know 3 weeks before we leave...) and some whose data just landed on my desk because there's no one else to put it in right now (Um, yeah, maybe I really did say I'd take care of that while you looked for a new data entry person...what was I thinking?) and a switch in branding that seems to be resulting in a slew of duplicate records...that we don't want to pay to move...and put it all right in the middle of three out-of-town trips.  It is summer, after all.

I never really thought I was susceptible to stress, but I am feeling it.  And I am not liking it.

But really, this is pretty minor stress.  Folks living in other countries who don't know where their next meal is coming from, or if the secret police...or the radical insurgents...will come and haul everyone off to prison or worse; people sitting in hospital waiting rooms with no assurance that the news about that sweet one who was so...normal...just  a couple of hours ago is going to be hopeful or devastating, whose whole world has been turned upside down for who know how long, whose dreams and plans have just evaporated.. THEY are the ones who are stressed.  Whether or not I get every record matched up perfectly really isn't stress.

But I have to keep reminding myself that I can only do what I can do and not worry about what I can't.  If it's not perfect, we'll fix it.  This time next year, it'll be done and we'll be on the upswing. 

But, I'm curious...if anyone is willing to share, what is your favorite 15 minute stress reliever?  'Cause I've only got 15 minutes... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment