Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Significant Moment

Posted By Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

Sacrifice is a common theme among world religions.

The Greeks and the Romans were perfectly familiar with the concept of a son of a deity walking around on earth; part of the reason Pilate freaked out when the Jews said Jesus claimed to be the Son of God.  Pilate, a Roman who no doubt worshiped Zeus and Mercury and the like, had no problems with the notion that the Son of God could be standing before him.  So the idea of God coming down to walk around with people isn't unique either.

But...God sacrificing Himself on behalf of the people He loves is unique.

All other religions require people to sacrifice to appease God.  Christianity states that God sacrificed himself so that sin could be removed and His relationship to people restored.

Good Friday is dark and grim and shocking ... Resurrection Sunday is the miraculous fulfillment, and together they are the difference that makes Christianity unique.

And...this year, it is nearly lost...on a national level;  over looked in debate and argument and lines drawn.

Should I get brave enough, I might attempt a post on that topic, but not tonight.

Tonight I'm confessing that the season is nearly lost on my own personal level.  Sewing costumes for the school musical has  consumed all of my time.  Not just my spare time...my time.  Multiple services at church are going to consume the weekend; I need to be there because I'm on staff and the first step of the crucial follow up for the weekend will cross my desk. No one expects super human effort to get it done ASAP, but it needs to be done ASAP nonetheless.

And I truly do not mind doing any of it, but it all combines to make me get my focus on what I have to do in short time...not what He did.

I haven't taken the time to contemplate the sacrifice He gave; I'm just trying to keep stuff from flying off the plate as it spins.

So, sometime this weekend, all on my own, I intend to grab a sip of grape juice and a bit of cracker and have a little remembering time.  It may not be long, but it will be there.

Because I am grateful and amazed and awed, even in the midst of the busy, that He would do such a thing...for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment