Friday, February 18, 2011

Faithful Friday Faves: Psalms

This is where this little idea gets almost laughable...pick one verse from Psalms as a favorite?

I skimmed through, not even sure what criteria I should use. I was nearly despairing of making a decision, when suddenly...I saw it. And knew it was to be today's pick.

The Very First Verse I memorized.

I was four...maybe five...years old, attending Vacation Bible School for the first time. It wasn't in the church I spent my coming-of-age years, but in the little white country Christian church that had been in the community for years upon years. I remember a sort of carpool going on, and, after the first day, Nancy L (who was 3 years older than me) got into the car with a note pinned to her shirt. I didn't understand why *I* didn't get a note from my teacher and specifically asked for one the next day.

So, the next day I went home with a note pinned to my shirt. It was a memory verse for me to say at the program Friday night. I had to learn it and then say it for the parents as I laid a screwdriver down on the front table.

I'm sure there was some context to the whole thing, but all I remember is getting stage fright and forgetting the first word of the verse when I walked up to say it.

It's still with me...in King James...

Except the LORD build the house, they labor in vain that build it. Except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. - Ps 127:1

Of course, I had no idea what it meant then. I just remember being mortified that I had to be reminded of the first few words after I'd specifically asked to do it.

Now, I understand -- it's pointless to put trust in human efforts or human strength.

When I am very old, I may forget a lot of things...but I bet I will still be able to quote that verse.

No comments:

Post a Comment