Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Random Dozen: Happy Birthday to our Hostess!

It's Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee's birthday, and for today's list of a dozen random questions, she asked her loyal blog readers (of which there are at least about a gazillion) to each supply a suggested question. So she has posted the 'guest' questions not only this week, but says she has enough left over for next week as well.

So, rather like Billy drawing Family Circus on Father's Day, here are the Dozen Random Questions from Readers, Part 1.

You can click on the icon to see everyone's answers, or even link up your own!


1. From "Men Are Dumb ....": If you had a theme song that played whenever you walked into a room full of people, what would it be?
Based on this week's true life adventures, it would be a slight paraphrase of the Veggie Tales Hairbrush Song:
Oh wheeeeere are my car keys?
Oh wheeeeere are my car keys?
Oh where oh where oh where oh where
Oh where oh where oh where oh where oh wheeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrre
Are my car keys?


2. From Pam of "Alert And Oriented x 4": Which of your shoes are your absolute favorite, and which are of the object of your most painful shoe-buyer's remorse?
I have some nice Clarks that are comfy and my size (6.5 wide) and they're even a little cute. They probably rank as the favorite, although I'm lovin' my new New Balance walking shoes, too (yup, this gal's headed into fuddy duddy territory)
Painful shoe buyers remorse...I bought a rather pricey brand of European shoes with tassels on them a couple of years ago, despite the fact that I'd promised myself never to purchase shoes with dangly doo bobs on 'em, since the dangly doo bobs always fall off. But these *were* pricey European Shoes, not some cheap pair from the discount overrun store, and I was in sore need of some wear-'em-every day shoes, so I plunked down the credit card and took 'em home. Sure enough, after about 2 months, one of the tassels fell off. They sat in the closet for quite awhile while I fumed about it, but I finally took a pair of scissors and cut off the tassel on the other shoe. I still wear 'em, mostly because they fit and I'm determined to get my money's worth out of them. No more tassels!!


3. From Susanne of "Living to Tell the Story": Tell about your favorite birthday celebration that you've personally experienced.
We never 'did' birthdays when I was growing up; my hubby took me to Opryland last year for my 50th, which was very nice, but in all honesty the best birthday celebration I've ever experienced was the surprise party I put together for My Sweet Baboo's 40th birthday (um, that's been a WHILE ago!). I did it with a 'This is Your Life' theme and friends and family came to town to surprise him. He was surprised, and the party was great. But I'll never try to pull something like that off again!

4. From Lori of "Just me and My Life": If you were a flavor of ice cream, which would you be?
Plain Vanilla

5. Cindy Swanson of "Notes in the Key of Life" asks: Have you ever had a crush on a movie star? Who was it, and are you still crushing?
I really don't remember having a crush on a movie star, but when I was about 6 I did have a crush on Johnny Quest. Still crushing? Nah, I don't think so...

6. Jill from "Jill Boyd's Place" inquires: Glasses or braces--if you had to wear one, which would it be?
I had both. At the same time. Not just glasses, big ol' 1980's swallow-your-face glasses. And I was in a friend's wedding with both. Here's a picture; I'm the one on the bride's immediate left. With the glasses and the braces. (from 1984)



7. Nel from "Fasteneau Facts" asks: If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Where I could watch the sun rise in the morning, see the sun set in the evening, marvel at the stars at night, and listen to the quiet all day.

8. Thena from "Patiently Waiting" wants to know: If money were no obstacle, what would be the perfect birthday gift to receive?
Ok, this is turning into a one-panel Peanuts cartoon in my head; the team is on the ball field and each of them has a question: 'Why is a birthday gift different than any other gift?' 'Is there a gift that is better given as a birthday gift than a Christmas gift?' 'And does it depend on who's doing the giving?' 'What about gifts that money can't buy?' 'And how could you put a value on a handmade gift?' 'IS there any such thing as the perfect birthday gift?' 'Real Estate.'

9. From "Life Through Bifocals," LynnMarie asks: What is your favorite birthday meal?
That's easy...one I don't have to cook! And I bet that's the most common answer to this question!

10. Debby at "Just Breathe" checks in with: Do you still send hand-written thank you notes?
Um...sometimes? VBG

11. Linda from "Mocha with Linda" poses this question: What is something you've done that you never thought you'd do?
Won a state athletic championship. And I did it twice...in 1983 and 1984. I was Alabama's State Women's Frisbee Champion. 'Course, there WERE only about 5 ladies in the competition either year...and the real pros didn't come....Anyway, that is clearly the Most Unlikely Thing to Happen that Actually Happened in my life. At least so far.

12. Jewel, my homegirl from Indiana who writes at "Musings from the World of Jewel," is very insistent that we answer this: Mount Rushmore honors four US Presidents: Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Roosevelt. If you could add any person to Mount Rushmore, who would you add and why?
Oh, tough question. FDR, perhaps, for guiding the country through the second world war; Harry Truman, perhaps, for stopping the buck on his desk; JFK, perhaps, for starting the Peace Corps and starting the drive to the moon; Ronald Reagan, perhaps, for the end of the Cold War...I'm glad I don't have to decide.

For the regular BLR readers who will be expecting the Friday Faithful post this week...My Sweet Baboo and I are heading to Gatlinburg w/ the Royal Rangers/Girls Ministries leaders for a couple of days. So, rather than worry about trying to post from the Smokies, I'll just give it a break. We'll start the Books of History next week. ;)

9 comments:

  1. Your answer to number 7 is beautiful. And If forgot about Reagan for the last one....the only one I could think of was JFK...so I just gave a non answer of weirdness ;)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...Frisbee champion? You go girl! I was state typing champ on a manual typewrite in Alabama in 1987. We're special, don't you know!

    Loved your picture of you with your glasses and braces. I had horribly thick glasses until I was 30. I had lasik and PRK, and I have 20/20 vision now! Yay! No more glasses or contacts!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow a Frisbee champion...that is cool! I love your song! Gotta love those Veggie Tales!
    until next time... nel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers!

    True friends don't care what we look like. Isn't that true? My best friend changed her whole wedding plan into a Halloween vampire-style wedding when she realized my "fangs" (my canines are exceptionally longer than regular people and so my nickname for years has been Vampira) would show in all the wedding photos! That is a true friend, just like yours!
    I think you looked adorable and completely un-self-conscious in that wedding pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frisbee champion? I'll bet that's the most unique answer to that question.

    I've often wondered what on earth those designers were thinking with the '80's glasses. I had some swallow my face too.

    Your song is too funny. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...a state frisbee champion? I'm impressed...very cool!

    Also love that Veggie Tales song!

    Enjoye your answers. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I gave it to the Peach...cause he's got hair" Love veggie tales but alas my kids are too old for them now, but we sometimes still listen to the music. I'll just have to get my nieces and nephews into them!!

    Love your answers and I'm with you on the place to live...ahhhh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frisbee? I'm abysmal at frisbee to the unending disappointment of my kids and pretty much the entire youth group. When we play Holy of Holies at camp, they even let me catch them to throw their frisbees very far...because very far for me isn't very and isn't far...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your answers. Your song cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete