Friday, September 24, 2010

Faithful Friday Faves: Numbers

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

'You must present as the LORD's portion the best and holiest part of everything given to you.' - Numbers 18:29


I really was planning to post a different verse for Numbers, but when I was flipping through reviewing the book, this one grabbed my eyeballs and wouldn't allow me to go anywhere else.

Because, really, do I give the Lord the best and holiest part of ANYTHING? Let alone EVERYTHING.

Do I give Him the best and holiest part of my day?
Do I give Him the best and holiest part of my labor?
Do I give Him the best and holiest part of my devotion?

Ouch ouch ouchy ow ouch!

Now, for context...this was direction to the Levites, and their sustenance was to come from the offerings/sacrifices given by the people. We're mostly talking things like meat and grain here, you know. Their food. They were to give the best and holiest ('most special') part to God; by doing that they were guilt-free in consuming the rest.

You know that mental picture we all have of the offerings being burned? Go back and read all the specific directions and you'll find that, for most of the offerings, only certain portions were actually burned. The rest was eaten by people...either by the priests and their families or by the folks who made the offering (e.g. the Passover lamb).

It's a novel concept to me that we sacrifice things to God by presenting them to Him and then enjoying them in His presence...but, that's the gist of it.

Except...in the midst of that enjoyment, we still should give the best and holiest part to Him.

Hmmmm.....

1 comment:

  1. God gives us richly all things to enjoy -- even what we give to him. Thanks for pointing this out. Our delight delights him.

    ReplyDelete