Monday, February 22, 2010

Before You Speak...

Today, I heard a remark (that was not directed specifically to me) that really started me thinking...

'[It's apparent] when you've been thinking then speaking, and then when you've been praying then speaking.'

Wow. I tend to be pretty lame at even thinking before I speak; sometimes my mouth opens just so I can stick my foot in it. But praying before I speak...wow.

Now, on occasion, I do pray before I speak. When I have to address a delicate situation; when I have to teach...y'know,on occasion. But to routinely pray before I say anything? That's a paradigm shift.

But I bet I'd suffer much less foot-in-mouth disease if I made it a regular practice.

Cause, you know, if other people can tell the difference between a thought-based word and a prayer-based word, I should be much more particular to keep my words prayer-based.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Thank you for sharing this powerful, thought-provoking statement.

    I think I will remember and practice it...often, always and with all that is in me.

    ReplyDelete