Sunday, December 6, 2009

I can wish, can't I?

So, I am on the campus of the college that was hosting the Trumbauer competition, chaperoning the drama class and, at that particular moment early Friday afternoon, sitting in the lobby of one of the buildings making a lunch from a Star Kist Tuna lunch kit and a pack of crackers-n-cheese. My black book bag, easily the only choice for hauling stuff around for a day on campus, is on the sofa next to me, still unzipped from my foraging around for the munchables. I've got on a black turtleneck sweater and blue jeans, and I've got my beat up 'purse Bible' out, working on the lesson material for this morning's Girls Only class.

Suddenly, a group of about 4 ladies enter the building, and one comes over to me and speaks.

"Excuse me...do you go to school here?"

My first reaction is regret that I won't be able to provide whatever information she is seeking.
"No, I'm sorry, I don't."

Then it hits me and my jaw drops.

"Do I go to school here? Oh, honey, you're my new best friend!"

Laughter all around...and they head off to find someone to help.

Now, I know that she didn't really LOOK at me...she probably just registered someone in jeans w/head down, studying, with a bookbag. I'm sure she was shocked to see my 50-year-old face look up to answer her question.

But it made my day just the same. If I'd've had the app for my phone, I'd've made it my Facebook status:

"I just got mistaken for a college student!"

What a hoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment