Sunday, August 23, 2009

How Six People Name a Cat

I think most folks that come by here also read the sewing blog; I mentioned over there that we acquired a kitty last week. There was a bit of a mistake in the kitty gender at first; now we are satisfied that the cat is a boy.

(ETA again...weeks later...we were right the first time; Frisco is a girl...)

And any animal that resides with a family must have a name.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a name that satisfies six people? I thought we'd just play with the cat a bit and then we'd all see what name fits.

Ha ha and ha!

During the days of gender confusion, we picked several girly names, none of which really satisfied anyone. We were a bit relieved to decide it was a boy, after all, and something masculine would be appropriate. As The Princess said, there's a ton of good boy cat names in the world.

Trouble is, we couldn't agree on any of them.

What names were suggested, you ask?
Chicago (let's just say our family is aware of someone else who goes by that name and leave it at that?)
Oliver (too sweet)
Chester (um, that's the name of a really annoying puppet in our children's church ministry. Some members of the family objected.)
Rambo (I personally vetoed any names relating to Sylvester Stallone)
Bean (to those familiar with the Ender saga, Bean was a brilliant street urchin who was rescued and sent to the military school. Sorta fits, but, well, only the Actor and I have read those books so no one else appreciated it)
Boo (Only The Actor liked this one)

The list goes on, but you get the idea. Today at lunch, the Princess announced, "We should name this cat. Seriously!"

Personally, I didn't think Seriously was a great name. (baDUMdum)

He was being exceptionally playful at the moment, and, as we watched him bounce around, someone suggested 'Frisky'.

Nope. That's cat food.

"What about Frisco?" I asked, just for grins.

To my surprise, no one immediately objected. It was quirky enough for those who required quirkiness, short enough for those who wanted simple, and totally unrelated to anyone we knew. A quick family poll and...


Meet The Frisco Kitty:





Whew.

ETA: The Flute Player just read that entry and insisted that I correct something. After discussion, we decided that 'Frisky' suggested 'Frisco' to both of us, independently, and *she* was actually the one who brought it up to the rest of the family. I thought she was just echoing my suggestion, but she insists that she never heard me say it. So, to satisfy her little melancholy heart, I must set the record straight, lest anyone think it was I and not she who actually put the name before the family.

Whew again.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I love Frisco!!! You know what a cat person I am. That seems to be a good gender neutral name. What a beautiful friend.

    Faithfully,

    Sheeplike

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can imagine how delighted the kids are... ;)

    ReplyDelete