Saturday, August 29, 2009

Days Like This...

Honey, you know, sometimes 'sugars out'. It's easy enough to fix; you just set the jar in a pan of hot water until the honey liquefies again.

But, what if your jar is a plastic squeeze bottle?

It's impossible to get the granulated honey out of the bottle into a glass container; I thought I'd just set the bottle in the hot water until it 'just' got hot enough to liquefy the honey and then pull it out fast.

Unfortunately, on Wednesday when this event actually took place, The Flute Player was a bit late leaving for school and the moment she left I dashed off to get into the shower.

Forgetting completely about the honey on the stove.

When I came back down half an hour later, the bottle had blown up like a football. It hadn't ruptured...but when I pulled it out of the water it all collapsed. Wouldn't even stand up.

I kinda propped it up so it could cool...but, wow...



I didn't think about it, but the general consensus is that the honey has been contaminated by random plastic molecules, since it was heated to the expansion point.

Rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment