Thursday, July 9, 2009

What hill?

Where? When? I don't remember any hill...

My Sweet Baboo gave me a t-shirt with that sentiment upon it...ten years ago.

Since I've had some comments from folks who also share July 11th as a birthday, I thought I'd post about finding out someone else has a birthday on that day...

Ten years ago I spent my 40th birthday off on an Adventure. I left the Rocket City early on July 6, and drove down through Birmingham, past Tuscaloosa, through Mississippi and Louisiana and a good bit into Texas to spend a week at Teen Mania Headquarters, doing a week's worth of various odd jobs as a summer missions volunteer while teen missionaries came in, trained, left for their missions, and another group returned, debriefed and headed home.

So I was in Texas on my birthday.

And I found out something. The founder of Teen Mania, Ron Luce, has the same birthday I do (I am two years older than he is). I don't know if what happened on the night of my birthday had anything to do with the fact that Mr. Luce was also celebrating a birthday, but there was a surprise concert by the Newsboys for the kids who had arrived that day from their various mission trips.

And I got to go and rock out with the rest of the folks on campus that day. It was a cool way to turn 40....

Three days later I climbed back in the car and made the return trip. I had an amazing week, but I was sure glad to get back home to my Sweet Baboo and hot water in my shower... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment