Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Quintessential Armor Bearer

I had a very recent reminder of how much our pastors carry with the vision of ministry...and how those of us who are part of that ministry need to come along side and 'hold up their arms', so that they can carry that vision.

And I heard in my spirit, "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you and it as well!"

If you recognize those words, maybe you'll understand the head-smacking revelation I had as I realized Sam Gamgee is the perfect example of the armor bearer. He had not a shred of ambition for himself, but was totally motivated in all his actions by concern for the one in whose service he had been placed. Frodo's mission was Sam's mission; Sam understood that the quest was not about him at all. He did what needed to be done with such complete submission to the cause that he wasn't even conscious of his own self.

There's a lot for me to learn from Sam Gamgee. His one moment of temptation to step forward and proclaim himself Lord when Frodo had been captured and Sam, by virtue of his dedication to the task, had the ring, was quickly quelled by Sam's devotion to his master, his accurate assesment of himself, and his certainty that it was only a trick of the enemy and not a real possibility at all.

I need to remember that if I'm going to be a proper armor bearer in the house. And maybe The Lord of the Rings should be required reading for everyone in a ministry support position...with particular attention given to the character of Sam Gamgee.

2 comments:

  1. It seems to me that Samwise is the real hero of the story - or at least by far the most marvelous character. There is so much to admire in the values he demonstrates - dedication to service, humility, and especially his sense of adventure and wonder. As you point out - great role model (for a work of fiction!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thought after I posted this! Sam is the real hero...

    I wonder if Tolkien intended that on any level as he was writing the story.

    ReplyDelete