Monday, February 16, 2009

Jubilee Monday # 26: The High-Fired Pot

At long last, the other one of my two pottery pieces arrived from the folks who do the high-firing. I guess it really is a 'flower pot'...(groan)


It'd been so long since I glazed it I'd forgotten what colors I used. Actually, there were only about four to choose from for the glazing, so it's not like I deliberately chose the colors to make an artistic statement. And I remember one of the glazes was mixed very thin and didn't want to stick well to my pot.

But, all the same, I'm pleased with it. It is unique; the colors kind of work, and it has the nice graceful, flowing look I wanted.

The reason it was high-fired is that the higher temperature makes a more durable piece, and since this had some very delicate parts the Artist Instructor thought it might be wise to high-fire it rather than do the lower-temp raku firing that I used on the the braid-top bowl. And, seeing the difference in the finishes, I'm rather glad I did that, even if it took longer to see the final product. The flower pot has a smoother, more even texture than the bowl. They're going to make good conversation pieces.

And I've been thinking about the high-firing process. Some things I've noted:

--High-firing took a greater investment of time, and I had no control over it at all.

--High-firing results in a stronger piece.

--A high-fired piece is useful; the raku pieces, while pretty, are not meant to *do* anything, because they are rather fragile and the glazes are not food-safe.

--A high-fired piece can hold food and/or drink. It can even be washed in a dishwasher. Hm...it can be a vessel for feeding folks, and it is easily cleansed.

Now, consider applying those truths, not to ceramics, but to one's faith: Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. -- James 1:2-4 NIV

Next time I feel like I'm in the middle of a really hot spot, I should remind myself that it's just the high-firing necessary to be beautiful and useful in the Kingdom....

1 comment:

  1. I love it, it's not your usually pottery piece and I think it has a lot of you in it. It's beautiful and something I would have 'bought' it if it were in a store on sale. Nice work, love the colors too.

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete