Friday, December 19, 2008

Friday Flashback # 25: Am I hungry?

Posted by Lisa Laree to Beer Lahai Roi

Here's an entry dated Feb. 14,2008. I was reading through John Bevere's book Drawing Near at the time, but I don't know if this is a quote from the book or a revelation the book stirred in me:

Hunger is the key element to whether or not we pursue God.

A hungry soul will seek Him; a religious soul will go through the motions to give an appearance of seeking Him.


I think that's true...but I also think there are times when even a hungry soul must seek Him from an act of will. Sometimes, when I'm working hard on a project, I will neglect to eat. If I neglect to eat long enough, I lose my appetite and don't *want* to eat. I think spiritually we get like that too...if we let ourselves get too busy, even in the kingdom, to make sure we have some time to feed our own spirits from His table, we reach a point where we're not aware of being hungry. In both cases, taking nourishment is done as an act of the will, from the wisdom of knowing we must feed ourselves, rather than from hunger.

That isn't to be confused with a person who merely goes through the motions of religious activity in order to fulfill someone else's expectations. On the one case, there is still a receiving of spiritual insight...which will result in at least a small amount of change or growth. On the other, a duty is discharged but nothing changes.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! So encouraging to hear Drawing Near impacted you!

    We wanted to let you know that John & Lisa Bevere just launched their blog! We'd love for you to 'follow' or check it out every so often.

    http://messengerinternational.blogspot.com/

    Blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete