Monday, November 10, 2008

Jubilee Monday #16 - A Personal Treat

When I was a 16 year-old high school junior, I went with a group of friends to Clowes Hall in Indianapolis and saw a professional troupe perform Stephen Schwartz's musical Godspell. It had a profound effect on me; I think I embarrassed the guys I was sitting next to by bawling uncontrollably, but I had been expecting something kind of sacrilegious and wasn't prepared for what I saw. I only went because my BFF insisted...and I'm glad she did.

I've seen it every chance I've gotten since then. "By My Side" was one of the musical selections at our wedding. When we were in our little denominational church, the Broadway cast recording was the music I played every Halloween night for the candy walk game at our fall festival.

This year, the piece that The Actor's school (he's not involved, though...it's the choral magnet this year) is doing for the one-act competition is a 45-minute cutting of Godspell, and the kids have done it very well. The district level competition was this past weekend, and, not only did they qualify to move to the state level, the young man that portrayed Jesus was selected as the best actor from the district for his performance.

For me, it was a real back-to-my-youth Jubilee treat, and an incredible blessing to see the kids onstage singing praise. I've had 'All Good Gifts' in my head for the past three days...

What gifts have we to offer
For all Thy love imparts
But that which Thou desirest
Our humble, thankful hearts!

All good gifts around us
Are sent by heaven above
Then thank the Lord,
Thank the Lord,
For all His Love

I really wanna thank the Lord...


-Stephen Schwartz


ETA: The Actor told me after school Monday that the young man who sang 'All Good Gifts' won Best Supporting Actor for the district, too. Not a surprise...his rendition was amazing and earned cheers from the audience. He was radiant as he sang that song...

1 comment:

  1. For what it's worth, 11 years later...the young man who played the part of Jesus that year was Michael Luwoye, who has since gone to Broadway and had the lead role in 'Hamilton'....

    ReplyDelete