Monday, November 3, 2008

Jubilee Monday #15 - Gettin' Connected

One of my impressions of Jubilee is that, since everyone is to return to their ancestral land, they reconnect with people...family.

I've been trying to analyze why, in the midst of my determination to be more disciplined in my life, I added a new potential distraction...I signed up for Facebook.

I've come to the conclusion that really was a Jubilee thing. For lots of reasons, I often feel isolated from folks. Not going into that here...it'd take way too long...but I found out that there really is a connection going on at Facebook. Many of my church friends are on it and, although I initially signed up thinking I could reconnect with folks from the ancient past (that would be high school), I've found it's going to be a great way to be connected to the folks from my present...my church family.

We're all so busy that we don't have time to talk in person...but it's cool to see the little comments about what folks are doing as they go through the day.

The trick is, of course, to not let it consume huge amounts of time. I dismissed ideas of joining an online group like Facebook for a long time for just that reason. But we need connection to people as much as we need food, water and air. I think that's a question of balance.

Which is, of course, personal discipline. Back to that one.

Time to set the timer and work on that. ;)

1 comment:

  1. My timer just went off as I read your last line! Time to go play in some paint with preschoolers!

    I really did join FB just so I could see my daughter's wedding pics! She still hasn't mailed my set and the wedding was in May. Must be the new job! Using FB to keep up with church family will be a great way to use it.

    ReplyDelete