Thursday, August 14, 2008

How 'Bout that Senior Discount?

Last night was the Royal Ranger Advancement service at church. Our girls' classes always go to the sanctuary to watch/support their awards, just as the guys come to ours, but we had a little teeniny thing to do in last night's service.

Last fall, we had a fundraiser...big jugs for coin collection...to raise money for Stella's House, a post-orphanage home in Moldova for girls who are basically kicked out of the state-run orphanages at age 16. Ranger Senior Commander (those who read the sewing blog will remember the Pirate Costume I made for him earlier this year) had issued a challenge over the fundraiser. If the boys raised more money than the girls, then he would get to put a pie in the face of our Coordinator. If, however, the girls raised the most money, he'd take a pie in the face from her.

Well, the girls collected about $300 more than the boys, and Sir Sr. Commander was to receive his pie in the face at the Christmas Skating party, since both the Rangers and the girls were there. But, somehow, that didn't happen.

Yesterday, while the two of us were working on costume maintenance at church, Miss M commented that we still owed him a pie. We did some phone calling to try and get a 'pie'; in the interest of fairness (since he would be in his dress Ranger uniform), I cut a hole in the bottom of a trash bag and toted it along to church last night so he could protect his clothes. Well, the phone calls didn't quite get the message done, but we did get a green light (unbeknownst to Sr. Commander) to proceed with the facial pie.

So I took off as the service was starting and went to the local Kroger to procure a foil pie plate and a can of spray whipped cream.

Checked out with it, and the cashier told me the total due, then added, 'You're a Senior, right?'

I was expecting her to ask me if I were using credit or debit, so I didn't have a context for her question and asked her to repeat it.

"You're a senior...over fifty five?"

"Ack! NO!!" She kind of apologized as she hit the total and I swiped my card.

"Oh, I guess I should've just said, 'Sure, give me the quarter discount!'" I commented as I signed the charge slip. Then I laughed, "But I suppose that's what I get for the prank I'm about to pull..."

When I told Senior Commander about that, after the service and his pie, he commented, "That's what you deserve!"

I suppose he's right...but it was fun. ;)

1 comment:

  1. So was this your first experience with "the Senior Discount"!?! I was brought up short the first time "we" received the senior coffee at a fast food joint for my husband. I had ordered for him and I guess the teenager waiting on me decided I must qualify since I've chosen not to cover the gray "highlights" I have! One we didn't even notice until our older son looked at the receipt and asked us if we'd gotten our quarter's worth. He had to repeat what he said too because we weren't following! This has happened more than once in different states for several years and I won't be 48 for 2 more weeks!

    Glad it made you chuckle and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete